Monday, March 26, 2012

Welcome Spring!

Hello all!  I'm sorry for the lack of posts these past few days.  I didn't forget about you!  I've been very busy with a few things that I will be sure to share with you soon.  I have some more illustrations that I have been working on, things for the flea markets and craft fairs that will be coming up hopefully soon, and my mom had to have a corneal transplant so I have been staying with her for a few days and helping her out.

I promise, more juicy posts in the next few days!  Ok?  :)

In the meantime, stop slumping over your computer and go outside and enjoy the sunshine!  The weather is incredible!  I can't believe that winter is over and it is officially spring!  I feel like I am still waiting for the big snow to come and spring just sprang up on me out of no where!  I did not like turning my clock an hour ahead for Daylight Saving Time, but I do appreciate the extra sunlight!  In fact, I have two days in the year that are my favorite.  I'm not talking about holidays or birthdays or anything like that.  I'm talking about two actual days in the year.  Those two days are after Daylight Saving Time when we turn the clocks back an hour and I gain an extra hour in the night, and the summer solstice when we have the longest day of sunlight in the year.  This year the summer solstice lands on June 20th!  I'm going to plan something really special this year to celebrate!  Any ideas?  :)


This diagram was found here.  It demonstrates the position of the sun during the summer solstice,   Notice that the arc of the sun rises higher and higher from the winter solstice, through the vernal equinox in spring, to the summer solstice.  The summer solstice marks when the sun is positioned highest in the sky.  After the summer solstice, it starts to lower again, through the autumnal equinox, and back to the winter solstice (when it is lowest in the sky).

Here is a map of the world showing where people recognize daylight saving time, where they no longer use it, and where it was never used.  It is interesting how the majority of the actual population don't use it anymore.  Personally, I like having it!




No comments:

Post a Comment